baguettes to welcome you home: the buttery

August 15, 2017







I have a sweet memory of one morning when Jon and I were on our honeymoon in Portugal. He woke up early and told me he'd pick up breakfast nearby. Waking up to him clutching pastries in a paper bag was one of the first moments post-wedding that I realized my new normal included a breakfast partner to eat with everyday.

AND THEN HE NEVER GOT ME BREAKFAST AGAIN. Just kidding. He did.

One of the other sweet memories that I have was the first morning we woke up in Santa Cruz. We hadn't unpacked anything except for our bed, and boxes lined the edge of every room. I was exhausted from the move and Jon decided to pick up some breakfast for us at The Buttery. He came home with a fresh baguette, pastries, and some cheese and fruit from Shopper's Corner. We unpacked two plates and a butter knife and sitting on a carpet that smelled like dog, we ate our first meal as a family in our new city.


I think a lot about that first breakfast because of how many daunting and thrilling unknowns we were anticipating. We had no real sense of our local geography, no weekly rhythms, and no friends, but our sweet breakfast moment on the floor was incredibly anchoring for me. 

So, it was wonderful to visit The Buttery together a year later. We ordered their biscuits and gravy with a side of charred corn salad. We've come a really long way this year and even though we're not completely situated yet, I think we have a lot to look forward to!

A few details:
  • There are two lines: the one is for the bakery where you are served by taking a ticket number, the other is for the cafe and restaurant.
  • Their Francese is our favorite baguette because it has a delicious crisp that lasts a few days. Their French bread is super chewy, so we usually get it to go with soups or stews.
  • The outdoor seating is way nicer than inside because the lines just get so crazy in there!



You Might Also Like

0 comments