capitola vibes in december

August 08, 2017







Last December, I took a walk around the Capitola beach area and I was blown away by the stillness and beauty (okay it was like 2:30PM on a Tuesday). During the holiday months, all parking (even metered) is free, so I took advantage of that and explored the quaint streets and antique stores. 

I was listening to this incredible podcast about race in America and it was so mind blowing, that I kept rewinding because I kept blanking out. I think I made a 2 hour long podcast into 3.5 hours. The irony of wandering around one of the whitest towns in Santa Cruz county while listening to the deconstruction of white supremacy in the evangelical church is not lost on me. To further my displacement, I had absolutely mediocre boba at Off The Block and the lady at the antique store said "I'm not racist" to me like three times. 

Anyway, I found a lot of wonderful Christmas presents for all of my ethnic friends and I really enjoyed a lot of the shops in the area.

A few of my favorites:
  • Betsy's Summerhouse Antiques had the most knick knacks and California-centric vintage wares. The prices weren't too terrible, but the range was a bit unpredictable.
  • Charley & Co.  was an adorable shop with a ton of home decor and gifts. They feature a ton of local artists and I appreciated their extensive selection of gnome-based goods.
  • Lumen Gallery was beautiful! They have a ton of home decor items (both big and small) that reflect a clean design. I appreciate that they have beach-based goods that don't feature an explosion of anchors and ahoys.
These shops were along the 1-2 blocks above the main beachfront area, so it was perfectly removed from the traffic and crowds. Go there next time you are lamenting systemic oppression or if you need adorable cat ornaments!

You Might Also Like

0 comments